Thursday, February 14, 2008

Banking on solar: YGE

This is my second go-round with Yingli Green Energy. It's not a best-of-breed like First Solar, but YGE's earnings are out tomorrow and for some very simple(ton) reasons, I think it will be spectacular.

Bot YGE @ 24.80

I got shares on what I thought would be a minor pullback in the solar sector. But it dived with the sector and I should've had stops in. When I fell asleep (at about 5:30 a.m. Hawaii time), YGE hit its low for the day at 23.11. By the close, it was back up to 24.88. A lot of optimists on this stock, unlike FSLR, which sold off the day before its earnings report.

Suntech Power reports on Wednesday. Watching for a great entry point on STP, which closed at 50.49 (-2.30, 4.3%) today. STP is 44% off its high of 90 in just six weeks. HOKU was tempting, too, but I still have 9 as my desired entry point. HOKU fell more than 2% to 9.95. I'll wait and watch. I think 9 is the new support since Sanyo extended its contract from seven to 10 years. Instead of trading between 6 and 14, the new range may be 9 and ... who knows?

No comments: