Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rerun

I'm not referring to some people's favorite 1970s sitcom character, though he was definitely funny.

No, it's just good time to start sharing and learning through this blog again. Since returning to the trading world in January, I've been reading and hearing a lot, absorbing many new ideas and fundamentals that I unconsciously boycotted in years past. It's that "more I learn, less I know" thing.

So, after walking away last June or July (after making around 35% in early 2009, then losing most of it back in the downturn), I spent most of my free time doing something new. I took care of some basic heath issues, nothing serious, yet I knew it was time to get some of the flab off my sad, middle-aged body. Working out after work in the midnight hour did me wonders physically and mentally. So did sleeping in during market hours (3:30-10 a.m. here). So I skipped early-morning Hawaiian time Squawk Box, opening bells and even Fast Money and Mad Money.

Staying out of the market for seven or so months was all to my detriment as the market roared ahead the rest of '09. So I've been back, learning, trading cautiously, then not so cautiously ... trying to trade with more discipline, then failing, then more. It's a battle that has been worthwhile to this point despite my floundering ways at times. Between actualized and paper profits, up about 18% since January. Again, should be much higher if not for 1) profits I left on the table waiting too long to rein them in, and 2) issues like oversleeping (re: early hours) through premarket.

Classic example was this morning. The game plan was to sell IMAX before earnings (2:30 a.m. Hawaii time) for a quick profit after scaling in on Wednesday at 20.28. Shares reached 21.60 premarket, then earnings news came out and the stock took a dive.

I didn't sell. I was in bed, having turned off my alarm (I guess?) at 1:40 a.m. By the time I was up, IMAX was down below 20.

The solution is simple: Never go to bed after midnight. (Normally, I'm usually up until and through the opening bell anyway.) And pop open my favorite energy drink(s) once it's past midnight, especially if my strategy for the day involves premarket selling.

So there I go. Trying to narrow down mistakes and challenges while boosting profit. I will tend to dwell on my screw-ups. It's a habit. But more importantly, I hope folks can give me solid, constructive information beyond what I've read and listened to.

Ultimately, trading is a skill in itself that no book can do for me. All tips and shared knowledge, though, are always, always welcome and appreciated. See, all the journaling I do, all the record-keeping I keep on every trade, every thought of a possible trade ... it helps a lot. But at some point, feedback is crucial to really expand and grow. Maybe it's a form of accountability. Or maybe it's just that two heads are usually better than one.

And now, the focus is on execution, which requires discipline, a game plan and more discipline.

No comments: