Friday, December 21, 2007

The RIMM swing trade: standing still

Research in Motion traded above 123 in pre-market, opened at 122, sold off to 116 and is about to close at 118. Should I have sold? Perhaps. Going from sub-100 to 123 is a hefty gain in any language. My long position entry point is 103 (average). My swing trade shares entry point is 120. So I'm holding on through the selling.

In hindsight, selling at the open (122) and buying back swing shares at 118 would've made sense. The market has a chance to stay bullish for a few days, perhaps through the final third of December.

Nice to see Apple rally, now at 123, less than a buck off its intra-day high. If I buy more shares of either, it'll be Apple especially because I have a slightly smaller position in AAPL than RIMM.

If not Apple, then definitely more Nintendo. Have not added more NTDOY.PK shares in three months or so. My nephew loves his Guitar Hero on Wii. Why not get Activision (maker of Guitar Hero)? Activision is peaking and my intolerance for flitty, fickle smaller cap stocks won't let me get in. If the Fed gets busy with a drastic rate move, I'll consider another ride with a small- or mid-cap retail. Otherwise, no, no, no.

The vomit is still fresh from roller-coaster rides on Crocs, lululemon athletica, China Digital TV, etc. If there is a next time, I'm banking the 50% and 70% profits.

No comments: