Thursday, May 13, 2010

Game plan

ChessnWine is one of my favorite chartists/technical analysts. His breakdowns at iBankCoin are concise and clear. Here, he explains the problems in the euro in a concrete way. I've watched the price action in the FXE (Euro Trust) and EUO (short Euro) ETFs ... both have, predictably, worked in favor of the short position this week as the EU gave up on its own currency, for all intents and purposes.

So, it's another idea to chalk up for tomorrow. If the Euro crashes through support, EUO may catch fire.

More ideas...

• FAZ. I tried before the close, but lost my discipline and didn't buy according to my intraday technicals. (Last time I bring the laptop with me to the john during trading hours.) But looking forward, any breakdown here makes FAZ a prime candidate, even over VXX. Speaking of which...

• VXX was dead with a minor gain for most of the day, then stepped up near the close. Though the markets were underwater most of the day, it wasn't by much and VXX was in the red. Goes to show, VXX is not a short play, necessarily. It truly is a measurement of fear and loathing, and unless TV networks air violent riots and shootings and corrupt banksters testifying before Congress, VXX is a quiet puppy. (Actually, the market shot up when Vikram Pandit testified, but he wasn't defending anything and he isn't a bankster, really.)

• If the run is done for GLD and SLV, TMT (30-Year Treasuries Bull 3x) might be the preferred safe haven. GLD and SLV may get back on track tomorrow, but if they continue to consolidate, I don't know if money will move back to equities. TMT is interesting. Never been there, but there's real action there.

• FXI (Xinhua/China 25 Index) has been beaten to a pulp, down more than 20% and the whole world knows China's economy is overheating. The short ETF for this is FXP. However, I'm not touching either without a new tipping point in either direction. Checked on the copper ETF, JRR, and it trades in correlation with FXI, to no surprise.

All cash here. I'm in hunting mode, but saving my ammo only for clear shots.


No comments: