Friday, November 16, 2007

Good Apple for the day

Sold AAPL @ 166.75
Net +2.86/share
The strangest feeling, clicking the sell button on a stock with momentum just two minutes before the close of after-hours trading. My web browser stalled up, a rarity, and I shut it down. When I came back to my online broker, the sale had executed. What Jason Zweig said recently about the psychology of selling stocks is true. I'm like a lot of people, apparently, who are more comfortable with the feeling of holding a winning stock rather than locking in those winning profits (rRe: CROX, STV, LULU, etc.).

Though I had a sell price of 170 on my AAPL daytrade shares, I returned to discipline mantra: not to make decisions, but rather to follow rules and procedures and to act in accordance with policy. That means selling the daytrade shares. I could have rationalized that the trade isn't done, it could become a swing trade going into Monday morning. But the volatility of this week, so many down days, has me wary. I'd love to believe that the correction is done, but I can't. I think the market remains in erratic mode for awhile. Therefore, I will continue to daytrade a half-position in AAPL. If I can get nearly +$3/share as I did today with one trade, I'll be content.

If AAPL opens at 167 or 170 on Monday, so be it. Everything will depend on the market, on news. But if AAPL opens below 166 and the market is neutral, I'll look for a re-entry point.

X Factor: Volume was lower today and did not surpass volume of the previous six sessions. Not an overwhelming indication that Apple's rally will fizzle, but bullish either.

One-day chart below. I like stockcharts.com, but bigcharts.com has the one-day chart. I slept through the big run. I actually remember falling asleep as AAPL began to bounce of its low of 159. Told myself not to bottom-fish just yet. It was about 5:30 am Hawaii time. By the time I got up, it was after 7 am (noon Eastern) and the stock had already run to 167. Amazing. But I like the entry point AAPL gave me later at 163.89.

Sorry for the sloppy lines. I don't have a mouse, nor a pen thingie for the laptop.

No comments: