Thursday, November 29, 2007

Selling RIMM into strength

Sold RIMM @ 122.00
Net: +7.50/share

Sold the swing-trade shares only. Still long on my original shares. Of course, the stock is now at 122.22 after I sold. It's the same thing that I read recently, that the feeling of holding a winning stock is addictive, as opposed to the feeling of actually locking in the profit. The last time I sold for a decent profit, it was RIMM. And I reacted to the price holding its ground higher than my sell price by buying back in almost immediately. That's how I wound up with RIMM at 114.50, then holding all the way down to 106+. Right now, the worst thing I probably could do is keep watching the stock by the minute. If the market rallies into Bernanke's speech (after the bell) and he ends up disappointing, it's bad news whether I get more RIMM or AAPL later or not. If he doesn't give the market confidence, the air will go out of the balloon at least until the Dec. 11 Fed meeting.

If he makes the market happy, then I might swing trade RIMM again at a higher price.

The market is flat today after a two-day record gain. DJ, Nas and S&P all fractionally in the red. Pit stop?

AAPL is up to 182.26 right now, surging in the past 20 minutes.

* Post-market review: I sold a bit early as RIMM ran to 123+. No regrets, though. Never argue with a decent profit.

No comments: