Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Half in, half out

Sold half the AAPL position at 340.88 for a minor loss (-4.79/share). I could've unloaded that or all the shares above 342 less than half an hour ago, but opted to wait. Why am I holding a half-position? That's pure risk to either side, up or down, but long term AAPL will make back today's drop (from 348). 

I look at it this way, too: by watching intermittently (as I slept) since 4 a.m., holding rather than selling in panic mode, I made roughly $1,400. AAPL went from 326 to 344, then to 341. My net is a loss on the half-position I sold, but had I sold at the open, it would've been much more. Is it faith? Patience? I don't know. I just know AAPL is the one stock that can come back. Fill in the blank for what the reason(s) may be.

I'm comfortable with a 10-point swing either way with the remaining half-position. I don't like risk, but I'm willing to accept it for the potential reward here. 

No comments: