Thursday, March 17, 2011

Apple as luxury item

11:08 am (Hawaii). I really don't get out much any more. Otherwise, Apple products wouldn't just be the most reliable, excellent tools of communication and technology in my life. (I gave up on the other laptops and computers a millennium ago without a single regret.) But in truth, even as an AAPL trader, I missed the whole notion of Apple as Luxury Item. Otherwise, I probably would've held since 95 or 214.

I don't have any leanings toward jazzing or blinging up my stuff. I use my Apple stuff for fun and work. I don't have an iPhone, iTouch, iPad ... so there's little to show in public. And yet there are some overindulgent, crazy cool accessories out there. There are iPhones studded with diamonds. It doesn't matter whether I get it. People love their Apple stuff and they love luxury, or at least the appearance of it. So this is more than cool. It's also about status and self-indulgence/self-importance. It's part of the Great Apple Equation.

















No comments: