Thursday, April 2, 2009

Apple withdrawl

I use Apple product(s) daily. Have been since around 2003 or so. Never looked back. Yet, I've sold shares of AAPL only to have seller's regret (as opposed to buyer's remorse). A couple of years ago, I bought AAPL at 93, sold at 92 out of impatience, and the stock proceeded to roar all the way to 200.

Yesterday, I sold AAPL at 106 after buying at 95 just one week earlier. Today, AAPL ran to 114, and that was before RIMM beat earnings expectations after the bell. I'm not arguing that taking profits is bad. But I definitely need to regroup and commit to building core positions as I trade short term in others.

I do feel crummy about not having a position in AAPL. Seeing AAPL in the portfolio has such a psychological impact. Morale, a boost to morale. AAPL was up 3.7% today; STP, which I bought with my AAPL proceeds, rose 10.8%. It's counter to what Phil Town preaches -- buy great stocks low and let them work for you. Oh well. Maybe STP will turn out to be as great as AAPL. Anything close with a great return, I can live with.

No comments: