Friday, April 17, 2009

Out in premarket

Wasn't a perfect trade, but profit is profit.

Citigroup announced earnings at -18 cents per share, which is a huge beat on the estimate of -34 cents. The stock ran up to 4.88 (from 4.01) in premarket -- the one that us common folks don't trade in before 2 a.m. Hawaii time.

By the time us regular people had access to trade C, it was at 4.50. I waited. Then it slipped suddenly to 4.40, 4.36 and I semi-panicked, selling the swing shares at 4.38. That's a gain of 33 cents, a huge profit. Of course, C then ran straight back up to 4.43 or so.

I told myself, no sense taking chances. Never know how vicious the selloff could be now or after the opening bell. I told myself, take the profit and look for a great re-entry point later. Might be a lot of trades on the swing side in C today. That's just fine. I'll be wide awake and observing its every move.

That last decision I made yesterday to not sell that swing position paid off. This time, gut instinct prevailed. I'm not in a rush to get back in, though. A premarket trade for the amount of shares I want is forking expensive.

Smile, Pupule. You made some money and it's only 2:16 a.m.

No comments: