Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Wash out

Four great trades. One bad one.

Four trades of FAZ in premarket netted nice gains, the best I've had in two hours work.

Then, that buy at 13.33 after I was surprised to find I'd accidentally sold at 13.24 ... that came back to haunt me. I didn't set a stop loss sell order like I should have, and it slid all the way to 12.25 at blazing speed. I had to sell at market, which I never do, and it sold at 12.14. Killed me. As an ETF, FAZ moves faster than any stock I've ever seen.

Practically wiped out my gains for the day.

A. Don't buy so high, regardless of momentum.

B. Put in the stop loss order no matter what. Had I done that around 12.90, my loss would've been pretty minimal. Too much thinking, not enough discipline.
x
Now I'm pooped and frustrated with myself. Market was negative before bell, which helped FAZ, then rallied (financials did some running up), but now the market is slightly negatoid again.

Next time I have a big profit, I'm going out for a walk. A long walk.

Epilogue: I mentioned that I should've set a stop-loss sell order, but there is no such thing available in premarket and after hours.

No comments: