Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Bully for Baidu

Is this the right stop? Do Baidu passengers get off here and wait for a cheaper fare on the next round? Frankly, a stock that soars from 161 to 300 in five weeks is either a) on steroids, b) from another planet, or c) supported by cultists. But really, how does a relatively teeny company not only fend off, but dominate the Chinese search engine space over King of the Warlords, Google?

I have always, and will probably continue to suspect that protectionism is alive and well in the MIddle Kingdom. Is it our responsibility to select stocks that are truly independent? Is it our business to invest (or trade) only in stocks that are on an even playing field? I say no. The rules are in place, and if you don't use them to your advantage, there will be no whining allowed later. That being said, I regret not staying in Focus Media and Sina, but not as much as I lament not being seriously long in CNOOC Ltd. and Baidu.

I figure I'm not alone. How many of us know China is a runaway train and still don't won't dip both feet in the water, let alone plunge in? Is this where BIDU pulls back 50 points? Does BIDU pause, refresh, and then run another 140 points?

There is no logic, though some may try to convince me otherwise.

CNNMoney.com/Paul R. La Monica: The Baidu bull run

No comments: