Sunday, September 16, 2007

That fresh lululemony smell

I'm not a lemonhead, and I don't even like yoga much. That may have had something to do with those 8:30 a.m. yoga classes at UH back in my college days.

But lululemon athletica continues to compell me. I can barely resist a growing young company that

a. will add 25 stores in the U.S. this year
b. sells products that are highly appealing to the best demographic — adult females
c. is in a new niche market that really has no competition

LULU shares have bounced up, down, way up and down again. Growth numbers are solid, but that's already baked into the stock price. However, venture capitalist Tom Stemberg explains in a Boston Globe first-person piece how he came to meet lululemon athletica and eventually invested $18.8 million.

Boston Globe: Betting on the Lotus

Two years ago I left my company Staples to become a venture capitalist. Here's why it wasn't such a stretch for me to invest $18.8 million on a stylish little yoga-wear chain called Lululemon.

No comments: