Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Canadian Invasion is welcome

I almost loathe short-term trading, but with the market this robust, it's almost criminal to sit on the sideline and let everyone else have all the fun. So, I dipped the pinky toe in the water and found it warm enough to be comfortable. Sort of comfortable. I waffled as LULU traded in the 37-38 range before finally stepping in at 38.38.

A large percentage of my holdings are for the long term and always will be barring a free market meltdown. But why lululemon athletica?

• Yesterday's massive fed rate cut (50 basis points) will benefit retailers big, big, big.

• Strong fundamental numbers. The only "disappointment" over Q2 was that the Co projects 5-6¢ EPS, while the street wanted a flat 6¢.

• Strong growth numbers, with major expansion in the US.

• I don't like niche products and companies that much, but women love yoga, yoga continues to stretch over the demographic (pun intended), and women are primary consumers.

• The PPS is being manipulated by MMs or there's more buying pressure than we can see. There were significantly large sell orders in the 37.50-38.00 range, and yet the price moved up.

• Today's volume in LULU is already nearly double of yesterday, when the stock lagged somewhat behind the market rally. Breaking out to a new high. I don't necessarily believe in breakout buying any more, but this stock has a lot of air above it to grow after being in the 30s since the IPO.

I'm not a fan of buying on breakouts, which is what LULU is doing today on above-average volume. There is no technical foundation to this buy, and that's something that unsettles me. That's the chickens**t side of me. Here's to the Canadian Invasion. Famous Canucks follow.


No comments: