Saturday, May 7, 2011

Silver poundage


9:36 pm (Hawaii) Sometimes you need to make a departure to shake out the stuff that may weigh you down. Sometimes being in another place gives you the green light to try something new. Today, for the first time, I walked into a coin shop and thought about buying something. Anything. Thought morphed into action, and now I own a handful of Silver American Eagles and a 1/10th-oz Gold American Eagle. I never intended to leave the shop and its gentleman owner feeling patriotic. It just happened that way.

I'll say this about Eagles. I never expected them to be so stunning. It's one thing to see photos online and another to see them inches away. What a finish and piece of artwork. I dug in and picked up the 2006 Eagles, which was good in this quantity. It was enough and not too much. I got a decent price ($40 and change) and have no plans to let go of any of my little, but growing pile of silver.

It was a busy two days and I'm thankful that I got to visit a coin shop at some point. There will be more coin shops to visit in the future. But if they're all as good as the shop I visited today, I'll be satisfied. It just feels a lot more comfortable doing things in person, and having all my questions answered. Coinage in hand ... feels so right.

SilverGoldSilver asks: "Why are they covering at these highs if the bubble has burst?" (May 7 2011)

No comments: