Friday, October 26, 2007

Baidu launches into orbit

Baidu is up $20 with a couple of hours left in today's session. Quite a reversal from yesterday's after-hours trading when BIDU plunge to $300, then finished up at $320. So what was the deal yesterday after hours? The earnings report was positive, if devoid of huge surprises. Was it panic selling? Market makers manipulating their shorts? Maybe.

I'm just glad to have a few more shares of a Co I've touted for some time. Now if I only could turn back time and buy shares of CNOOC. How I pounded the table back then when the P/E was 11 and the PPS was 90. I never bought a share. I didn't know oil stocks could be so dot.com-bubblicious.

What else is up this morning? Just about everything. Even though there were naysayers who cautioned about Countrywide Financial's earnings report and how it could dampen the market, nope, nothing bad happened. The market already anticipated a mess, and then Countrywide was basically positive. Wow.

Under Armor continues its ascent, trading up 6% to 60. UA was 54 a few days ago, but I held on, not for me, but for my nephew. He wanted some shares of one of his favorite companies, and I obliged.

Crocs was at 65 yesterday, well below its 10-day moving averages. A clear buy signal for a true 'box' stock. Well, CROX is now above 68 again. VMware is pulling back to no surprise. I'm waiting for lululemon to finish building this new base at 50 and rocket again. Might be waiting until they announce earnings in several weeks from now. No matter. When (and if) the Fed announces another rate cut next week, retailers will ride the bounce nicely once again.

No comments: