Friday, October 19, 2007

Too early for cheap buys?

DJ -366 (-2.6%)
NASDAQ -74 (-2.6%)
S&P 500 -39 (-2.5%)

AAPL 170.80 -2.70 (-1.9%)
Apple reports on Monday. My favorite, an A grade stock. If they can thump the estimates and raise guidance, AAPL becomes an A+ stock. Still trading above its 10-day SMA (168).

VMW 97.74 -3.81 (-3.75%)
VMware reports on Wednesday. May sell off on good or bad news because of the run from 50 since August. I'm late to this stock, but I understand the strength it has in its industry — its dominant stance. Currently an A- grade stock and it's trading below its 10-day SMA (101). Big run, decent pullback, hugely popular. That means it won't stay down long. Very tempting.

BIDU 314.75 -5.25 (-1.6%)
Baidu reports on Thursday. Google's upswing since yesterday's earnings report could (should?) have a mirror effect on Baidu, right? Why would it have a positive effect on earnings rather than today? (Maybe the selloff was just too strong and broad.) I'm split on that notion. Nevertheless, BIDU has a shrewd CEO in Robin Li, and I don't see him disappointing the street as long as he's got Big Red backing the Co up.

Baidu is trading below its 10-day SMA (320), which sounds preposterous considering this was at 161 on August 16. (The 50-day SMA is a bit more reasonable at 254.) Tempting here, also.

Looking back, I should've sold Blue Nile and China Digital TV when I had nice profits. I bought NILE at 80, it ran to 106, and now is back at 81. I bought STV at 29, 32 (and 51). It ran to 55. Now it's back to 39. Some positions are holds. Other positions are trades. These two should've been trades.

NILE is trading below its 10- and 50-day SMAs, but I hesitate to add more here. Even if I disagree with the downgrade (Citigroup) and even if I don't pay mind to the insider selling, the market is less than pleased. Can't fight the trend, can't add more here. I'm holding my little position.

STV is a long-term hold, but I would've profited by selling half my position high. The pullback for a recent IPO is almost destined. But I will hold on here.

Amazon is taking up space in the portfolio. I got in at 89, which is where it remains today. Though today's selloff hit tech and retail hard, AMZN lost just 10¢. The stock moves drastically only on earnings. The astronomical P/E keeps the stock on a leash for most of the quarter. I may get out of AMZN to raise a little more cash. OK, scratch that. I just realized that Amazon reports on Tuesday. Very interesting.

This isn't exactly a bargain sale here, but I've become severely underweight in two of my favorites, Crocs and Nintendo. Haven't sold a share. Just gotten heavy with other stocks. This pullback is an opportunity to fill up on CROX and NTDOY.PK, or perhaps to just wait until Monday. My Friday buys have been stellar in the past few months. Hmm...

Crocs is a relative bargain here at 65.99, well below its 10-day SMA (68). Q2 earnings were reported on August 14, and if Q3 comes out three months later, that would give us longs a Nov. 14 target. That's 26 days away. Too early to add more?

Nintendo (70.80) is milking the Wii and DS and everything it owns for all it can — but without emptying the whole sack. No question in my mind that the Co will deliberately ration the Wii as long as demand is huge. Remember, Nintendo was kicked to the curb, particularly by U.S. shareholders, for a few years there. The Co remembers this and isn't just tight with the product overseas, but is also overly discerning with its shares in Tokyo. (Investors there can only buy in bundles of 100 shares, and that comes out to about $41,000. Talk about an illiquid market in stock 7974.)

Today's pullback brings Nintendo's stateside pink sheets below the 10-day SMA (72), but I'll wait. The recent run above 70, all the way to 75, needs time to digest in this new box/trading range. I'm loathe to buy it high as I've done before.

Is it just me or was Maria Bartiromo a lot more hyper today on the trading floor? Luv Maria but when the market is on a major selloff, it's like watching a skittish cat trying to run across a busy freeway. When she's back at the desk, Maria is back to her calm self. Time to pick up some lululemon pants and hit the yoga workouts, Money Honey.

Oil hit $90/barrel today, then pulled back to 88.60. Guy Adami on Fast Money thinks the next $8-10 is downward. Dennis Gartman said crude should be at $75, and added that gold will fall if we are in a recession, as Julian Robertson said on CNBC today. If oil is due for a pullback, that will exacerbate the declines for PTR and CEO. I still want CEO, but I want it cheap. It won't get back to 92, but I will still be picky.

No comments: