Tuesday, October 23, 2007

No more fishing in the Amazon

I confess. I'm not happy with my Amazon trade. I'm not mad about it, either. After watching the stock rise to 100 before the close, Amazon's earnings report underwhelmed, if a robust revenue boost can be gauged that way. That's what happens when a stock gains 10% before the close; the profiteers showed their colors and took theirs.

Of course, from 96 down to 90, there were some sellers who took a loss on their Amazon daytrade. Me? I handled it wrong, selling at the bottom after hours, but as long as I was even or above water, I was and still am content to get out of the stock. Why? Amazon is one of those stocks that just sits between earnings reports. Literally, a price percentage range of one digit. Nothing wrong with that, but this is a bull market, full of swings, rich with fast, big gainers. Sitting in Amazon, even with a tiny position like mine was, didn't measure up. I got out. The stock ramped up to 93 before the conference call, and since the call, has waffled between 91 and 92.

I do believe the Co when it says that guidance has been raised for the holiday season justly. I just won't wait around for the stock to mirror Christmas sales. There are just too many ripe growth stocks to get a slice of. Companies with growing margins as opposed to shrinking margins like Amazon's. Enormous P/E, bloated stock ... Jabba the Hut may have entertainment value, but he hangs out with Amazon and Under Armor too much for my taste.

No comments: