Friday, October 26, 2007

China + Solar = Profits

Chasing is rarely wise, but Friday buys have been good to me. I sold my small Garmin position at $117.20 and came out with a profit of $9.30/share. Not a big profit of course but there are 2 main reasons for the sell.

1. raise some buying power to get YGE, which I bought at $34.57 before after-hours trading closed.
2. too many questions about Garmin's relationship with Navteq. Earnings report is Wed., and if GRMN does not have a long-term solution for a mapmaker, we could see a selloff. I'll wait until they have a solution. Otherwise, they're still a good company and I'm probably going to get more shares after the dust has settled.

Solar + China is a solid combination, particularly with crude oil above $91 now and unrest in Iraq (Turkey). I keep writing about how much I like the energy sector, but now I'm finally acting on it. Yingli closed at an all-high today on heavy volume. The volume wasn't humongous, so I hesitate to label this a breakout, but market in crude oil and the politics in Iraq/Turkey are strong enough for me to move on YGE.

2 comments:

Numerius said...

continuing the thread from below here...
RE CROX:
I first realized that i should look into Crocs when i was at a neighbors house and their daughter had just gotten new Crocs and you should have seen how excited she was about them. Ive never seen anything like it. This was a couple days after their Q2 EPS report and one read through the press release and i bought some. One of the fastest decisions ive ever made. I didnt even need to hear the CC or anything else. I think this is one of the most amazing growth stories of the decade. The international story especially is just mind boggling. (900% growth in Europe YOY last Q, 250% growth SEQUENTIALLY in Japan)I cant even begin to imagine what this company could earn in '09 and im hoping that once Q3 earnings are out, the market will start thinking about '09 numbers. I believe CROX will be in the 90's on Friday (assuming they report Thursday after the close).

pupule paul said...

Your confidence is justified, christmasfern. I will say that I did a lot of reading, a lot of studying the numbers, the backgrounds of the CEO and key board members who hailed from Flextronics. It was there that they learned the utmost importance of a superior distribution system, and FLEX went from 11 to 40 between 1998 and 2000.

Crocs is in its second year of enormous growth, and if the stock replicates what was done at FLEX, is there just one more year of great growth left? Perhaps. Perhaps not. They're just reaching the tip of the iceberg with global exposure and new lines of product. My guess is that CROX will have explosive growth for four years in all, one more than FLEX. They could fall short ... or surpass even my optimistic projections.