Monday, July 30, 2007

Bargain hunting for the best

I thought CROX, BIDU, RIMM and AMZN would be discounted buys today.

What's not to like about these four? They all blew out earnings recently, and CROX, in particular, has strength in two places: short interest of 32% and the stock is still down almost 5% from its high last week. Crocs had good news today on two fronts, which probably didn't hurt. I added CROX at $57, but left the other three alone.

BIDU kept pulling back to $207 after nearly hitting $212 earlier. I don't see the stock staying below $219, its all-time high, for very long. And yet, I kept waiting for a bigger discount. Maybe I'm too greedy. I don't necessarily think BIDU will be a $1,000 stock soon, as a few people think, but it's going to keep climbing whether anyone likes it or not.

RIMM is back in the green, up 2% to $220. Maybe it's a Blackberry thing, but since I've never touched one, I just don't feel any passion for the product or Co. Maybe that's something I need to work on, because I know the Co is extremely well run, and the creativity there is superb. Plus, recent inroads in China will yield more revenue.

Amazon has an amazing history of execution, and Jeff Bezos is one of the best CEOs on Earth. When he finally rockets into space, he'll be the best CEO out there, as well. But Barron's call for profit taking was silly. It'll be another day, perhaps, before the selloff settles. AMZN was down from $84.03 to $81.51 today before closing at $82.70.

That's a big discount price, and as Georges Yared writes, institutional buying will be the next chapter for AMZN. But I'll hold out another day or two. I'm learning to love a bargain, especially for one of my A- picks.

Pupule Paul is long CROX and a teeny bit BIDU.

No comments: