Monday, July 30, 2007

Lowering the anchor at Nintendo Island

No, I'm not emotionally attached to my stocks.

OK, I am. A little. But not a lot. I don't even own a Wii, and my old PS2 has been collecting dust for a couple of years. And yet, when I cancelled my order to buy more shares of Nintendo this morning, I wondered if I'd regret it later.

Oh, I plan on getting more NTDOY.PK, no question about it. In fact, Nintendo is on my personal little list of Top 10 growth stocks.

1. Nintendo
2. Apple
3. Crocs
4. Baidu
5. Research in Motion
6. Google
7. CNOOC
8. Amazon
9. Foster Wheeler
10. (I can't find a stock that truly belongs here. Yet.)

So, my portfolio should reflect my analysis and gut feeling. Why didn't I push the pedal on Nintendo? I wanted a discount. I sort of got one. NTDOY.PK traded in the $62s when I pulled my order and then went down to $61-plus.

More than that, though, were other stocks that I want at a discount. I went and added a few more Crocs. Baidu was compelling at $207. The entire list was alluring, and there were also those small caps that I never seem to let go of. And then there were the IPOs like LULU and PWRD.

Ultimately, I need more Nintendo, but at the right price. I will not regret a buy there. Same with Apple in March. Now I know that Yingli may just go up with or without me. Same with other solars like Suntech (STP) and First Solar (FSLR), even if the latter misses earnings expectations tomorrow.

It's time to establish great anchors, and Nintendo will be at the top of my list again tomorrow. But I'll still rather buy shares of the Co than buy a Wii. For now.

Pupule Paul is long NTDOY.PK, AAPL, CROX and BIDU.

No comments: