Monday, July 23, 2007

Kudos to the real Baron

Ten years ago, maybe 11, a friend and co-worker named Baron Sekiya recommended a stock to me, and I regret that I didn't follow through.

As a photographer, Baron knows the world of camera equipment and technology quite well. He gave a big thumbs up to SanDisk, which blew out earnings last week and is poised to go on a major run thanks to the infusion of "smart phones" like Apple's iPhone. Copycat phones are bound to challenge the leader, which means plenty of business for SanDisk in the coming years.

The stock, which bottomed out on March 1 at $35, is trading this morning at nearly $57.

As for Baron, who I haven't seen in a long time, SNDK is just a company whose products he knows well. I assume still has those shares from a decade ago, and probably added to his position along the way. A decade ago, SNDK traded below a split-adjusteed $3, which makes Baron a very wise investor.

No comments: