Friday, October 5, 2007

To think or not to think, that is the question

It's happening again. I'm waking up (Hawaii time 9 a.m.) to find the market absolutely off the charts. Pinball machine gone beserko. Abacus laced with steroids. No complaints, just smiles.

I actually hit the sack at around 4:30 a.m., one hour into the market, well after the jobs report came out. Who knew among us laypersons that 110,000 jobs would ever mean so much. Even in premarket, I saw my shares of RIMM launch into outer space. All my fretting yesterday at the close, and in afterhours, over a buy of more RIMM at 100 even ... unnecessary. The shorts are taking it on the chin today as RIMM went to 107 in premarket. Currently at 113 with an hour left in the session. After seeing RIMM soar last quarter without me, I did my homework, found it to be an A grade Co with stupdendous growth and a product with no real peer. It's good to be on the winning side.

But with the rest of the market deep in the green, there really was nothing I felt comfortable buying this morning, so I let it go and went to sleep. I hoped CNOOC (CEO) would taper down from 160; it was 154 yesterday. The jobs report results means, possibily, a stronger dollar and lower crude prices, right? Well, CEO just inched over 164 a minute ago. I hoped Las Vegas Sands would lose some grains later in the day after hitting 130. Right now, it's still at 130. I hoped Garmin would trickle down a bit from its earlier place at 104. Currently, still at 104.

Or maybe I would add more of my other favorite A or A- stocks. Howard Lindzon wrote the other day that this market is great. You don't need to think to make money. Thinking actually hurts you in this market. He's right, of course, as usual. If I were to not think, I'd finally get a decent (if small) position in Baidu. CNOOC. Yingli Green Energy (YGE). That would give me proper exposure to China, looming correction or not.

Wait. I'm thinking again. Doh.

No comments: